The Young Women’s Jazz Orchestra is accepting applications for the following positions:
Bass (double bass prefered)
If offered a position in the YWJO program, fees are paid per semester in February and again in July. The fee per semester is $300. The membership fee will provide you with:
- 8 rehearsals/workshops per school term with award winning conductor, Ellen Kirkwood.
- Workshops with national and international musicians. The YWJO have previously worked with Shannon Barnett (AUS/DE), Camille Thurman (USA), Ingrid Jensen (USA) and Christine Jensen (CAN).
- Professional performance opportunities at Sydney jazz clubs including Foundry616.
- The opportunity to learn about improvisation and large ensemble playing in a supportive and encouraging environment.
- Direct interaction with the composers and arrangers of the music you will be playing and performing.
Subsidies for financial hardship
At the discretion of the course director, a small number of subsidies are offered for families who are experiencing financial hardship. Please us to discuss.
23rd December 2019
Email us your audition video before 23rd December 2019
Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30pm at UNSW
Scales (please play 2 octaves where possible):
- Major scales – F, D, Eb, Ab, B
- Harmonic minor – E, G, C, F#, C#
- Chromatic – 2 octaves starting on a note of your choice
- 1 piece/excerpt in a jazz style, 1-2 minutes in length, optional improvised solo (if playing a solo). Optional: Play along with a backing track or accompanist.
- Big band excerpt (for piano and bass this will include notation and chord symbols). Email us the day before you plan to record your audition and we will email you the big band chart.
- F major
- D major
- A harmonic minor
- 1 piece/excerpt in a jazz style, 1-2 minutes in length, optional improvised solo
- Big band excerpt. Email us the day before you plan to record your audition and we will email you the big band chart.
Demonstrate the following feels in varying tempos:
- swing feel
- latin feel
- your choice of a time signature other than 4/4 (e.g. 3/4, 5/4, 6/8)